Monday, January 5, 2009

The joy of running

I woke up early this morning around 2am with this incredible desire to run. If I weren't a mommmy I probably would have tore the sheets off of me and made a mad dash downstairs where the treadmill is kept, but the thought of chasing a two year old (and a new puppy) on only a few hours of sleep kept me tucked in bed... however, the need for speed kept my lids partially open and I vowed to start running again once the alarm bore witness that my sleep cycle was complete. Mark woke up at 4:30am to prepare for work (his shift starts at 5am this month) I woke up with him to let Parker outside and I still felt the tingle in my toes - today was going to be a good day! For three months now I haven't worked out - once the holidays came I shifted my priorities to baking goodies, decorating the house, making crafts and hosting get-togethers with friends and family... what a mistake that was! The further I drove myself away from running, a passion I developed in high school, the less content I found myself and the harder it was to find the motivation I needed to wake up early. For the past week I have been consumed with endless thoughts of starting my exercise regimen again - each day I promised to start only to fall short due to piles of laundry, dishes, and dirty toilets. Excuses. Truth of the matter is I just couldn't find the ummph I needed to kick my own butt into gear! So, when I woke up this morning and I could still feel the joy of running in my veins... I was thrilled, to say the least. A good run will keep the joy alive and before I know it I'll be "back on track" so to speak. Here's to laced up tennies and beads of sweat!:b

2 comments:

elleskiles said...

hey crazy woman,
two in the morning, huh? i know what you mean by having that urge to-for me, not run, but i like weights. if i did that at 2 i would be passed at on the floor and my kids, particularly gabe, would be riding me. i am glad you are running again. it's def. a mental thing for me. see ya later.

dunnfamily2 said...

you go girl!!! give that puppy a work out instead of the other way around